Children Story-The pony crossed the river-xiao ma guo he 小马过河

Monday, January 16, 2023

Do you want to learn Chinese through stories? Today we will learn a story about the pony crossed the river. Have you heard before? Let's get started.

An old horse and a pony live in the stable.
马厩里住着一匹老马和一匹小马。
mǎ jiù lǐ zhù zhe yì pǐ lǎo mǎ hé yì pǐ xiǎo mǎ.

One day, the old horse said to the little horse, "You have grown up. Can you help your mother?" 
一天,老马对小马说:“你已经长大了。你能帮助你妈妈吗?”
yì tiān, lǎo mǎ duì xiǎo mǎ shuō: "nǐ yǐ jīnɡ zhǎnɡ dà le, nǐ nénɡ bānɡ zhù nǐ mā mɑ mɑ?"

The little horse said, "Why not? I'm willing to help you." 
小马说,“为什么不?我愿意帮助你。”
xiǎo mǎ shuō: "wèi shén me bú? wǒ yuàn yì bānɡ zhù nǐ."

The old horse said happily, "That's good. Take this half bag of wheat to the mill."
老马高兴地说:“太好了!把这半袋小麦带到磨坊去。”
lǎo mǎ ɡāo xìnɡ dì shuō:" tài hǎo le ! bǎ zhè bàn dài xiǎo mài dài dào mò fánɡ qù.

The pony picked up the wheat and ran quickly to the mill. 
小马捡起麦子,迅速跑向磨坊。
xiǎo mǎ jiǎn qǐ mài zi, xùn sù pǎo xiànɡ mò fánɡ.

Running, a small river blocked the way.
一条小河奔流着挡住了路。
yì tiáo xiǎo hé bēn liú zhe dǎnɡ zhù le lù.

The pony was in a dilemma and thought: Can I go there? If my mother is around, ask her what to do!
小马左右为难,心想:我能去那里吗?如果我妈妈在身边,问她该怎么办!
xiǎo mǎ zuǒ yòu wéi nán, xīn xiǎnɡ: "wǒ nénɡ qù nà lǐ mɑ? rú ɡuǒ wǒ mā mɑ zài shēn biān, wèn tā ɡāi zěn me bàn." 

He looked around and saw an old cow grazing by the river. 
他环顾四周,看到一头老牛在河边吃草。
tā huán ɡù sì zhōu, kàn dào yì tóu lǎo niú zài hé biān chī cǎo.

The pony ran over and asked, "Uncle Cattle, please tell me if I can cross this river."
小马跑过来问:“牛叔叔,请告诉我我能不能渡过这条河。”
xiǎo mǎ pǎo ɡuò lái wèn: "niú shū shu, qǐnɡ ɡào su wǒ wǒ nénɡ bu nénɡ dù ɡuò zhè tiáo hé."

The pony listened to the words of Lao Cattle and immediately ran to the river to prepare for crossing. 
小马听了老牛的话,立即跑到河边准备过河。
xiǎo mǎ tīnɡ le lǎo niú de huà, lì jí pǎo dào hé biān zhǔn bèi ɡuò hé.

Suddenly, a squirrel jumped down from the tree and stopped him and shouted: "Don't cross the river, pony, the river will drown you!" 
突然,一只松鼠从树上跳下来,拦住了他,喊道:“小马,别过河,河水会把你淹死的!”
tū rán, yì zhī sōnɡ shǔ cónɡ shù shànɡ tiào xià lái, lán zhù le tā, hǎn dào:" xiǎo mǎ, bié ɡuò hé, hé shuǐ huì bǎ nǐ yān sǐ de."

The pony asked in surprise: "Is the water very deep?" 
小马惊讶地问:“水很深吗?”
xiǎo mǎ jīnɡ yà dì wèn: "shuǐ hěn shēn mɑ?"

The squirrel said seriously: "It's very deep! Yesterday, one of my partners fell into this river and drowned!"
松鼠严肃地说:“很深!昨天,我的一个伙伴掉进这条河里淹死了!”
sōnɡ shǔ yán sù dì shuō:" hěn shēn! zuó tiān, wǒ de yí ɡè huǒ bàn diào jìn zhè tiáo hé lǐ yān sǐ le."

The pony stopped at once and didn't know what to do. 
小马立刻停了下来,不知道该怎么办。
xiǎo mǎ lì kè tínɡ le xià lái, bù zhī dào ɡāi zěn me bàn.

He sighed and said, "Alas! I'd better go home and ask my mother!"
他叹了口气说:“唉!我最好回家问问妈妈!”
tā tàn le kǒu qì shuō:" āi! wǒ zuì hǎo huí jiā wèn wèn mā mɑ."

The pony wagged its tail and ran home. 
小马摇着尾巴跑回家。
xiǎo mǎ yáo zhe wěi bɑ pǎo huí jiā.

His mother asked, "Why did he come back?"
小马妈妈问:“他为什么回来?”
xiǎo mǎ mā mɑ wèn: "tā wèi shén me huí lái?”

 The pony said shyly, "A river is blocking me. I... I can't cross it." 
小马害羞地说:“一条河挡住了我。我……我过不去。”
xiǎo mǎ hài xiū dì shuō:" yì tiáo hé dǎnɡ zhù le wǒ. wǒ … … wǒ ɡuò bú qù."

His mother said, "Isn't that river very shallow?" 
小马妈妈说:“那条河不是很浅吗?”
xiǎo mǎ mā mɑ shuō:" nà tiáo hé bú shì hěn qiǎn mɑ?"

The pony said, "Yes! Uncle Cattle also said so. 
小马说:“是的!牛叔叔也这么说。
xiǎo mǎ shuō:" shì de! niú shū shu yě zhè me shuō."

But the squirrel said that the river was very deep and drowned his partner!"
但松鼠说这条河很深,淹死了他的伙伴!”
"dàn sōnɡ shǔ shuō zhè tiáo hé hěn shēn, yān sǐ le tā de huǒ bàn ."

 His mother said, "So is the river deep or shallow? Have you thought about what they said carefully?"
妈妈说:“那么这条河是深还是浅?你仔细考虑过他们说的话吗?”
mā mɑ shuō:" nà me zhè tiáo hé shì shēn hái shì qiǎn? nǐ zǐ xì kǎo lǜ ɡuò tā men shuō de huà mɑ?" 

 The pony lowered his head, said: "Never... never thought about it." 
小马低下头说:“从来没有……从来没有想过。”
xiǎo mǎ dī xià tou shuō:" cónɡ lái méi yǒu … … cónɡ lái méi yǒu xiǎnɡ ɡuò."

Mother kindly said to the pony: "My son, just listen to others, don't use your brain, don't try. 
妈妈亲切地对小马说:“我的儿子,听别人说,不要动脑,不要尝试。
mā mɑ qīn qiè dì duì xiǎo mǎ shuō:" wǒ de ér zi, tīnɡ bié rén shuō, bú yào dònɡ nǎo, bú yào chánɡ shì.

The river is deep or shallow, you will understand if you try."
这条河很深或很浅,如果你尝试,你会理解的。”
zhè tiáo hé hěn shēn huò hěn qiǎn, rú ɡuǒ nǐ chánɡ shì, nǐ huì lí jiě de.

The pony ran to the river, and just raised his front hoof, the squirrel shouted again: "Why, you don't want to die!"
小马跑到河边,刚抬起前蹄,松鼠又喊道:“为什么,你不想死!” 
xiǎo mǎ pǎo dào hé biān, ɡānɡ tái qǐ qián tí, sōnɡ shǔ yòu hǎn dào:" wèi shén me? nǐ bù xiǎnɡ sǐ."

The pony said: "Let me try." 
小马说:“让我试试看。”
xiǎo mǎ shuō:" rànɡ wǒ shì shì kàn."

He went down the river and crossed it carefully. 
他下了河,小心翼翼地跨过了河。
tā xià le hé, xiǎo xīn yì yì dì kuà ɡuò le hé.

It turned out that the river was neither as shallow as Lao Cattle said nor as deep as the squirrel said.
原来,这条河既没有老牛说的那么浅,也没有松鼠说的那么深。
yuán lái, zhè tiáo hé jì méi yǒu lǎo niú shuō de nà me qiǎn, yě méi yǒu sōnɡ shǔ shuō de nà me shēn.

The story of the pony crossed the river-xiao ma guo he, tells us that whatever things is, we need to experience with ourselves, not just hear about what other people said.
小马过河的故事告诉我们,无论发生什么事情,我们都需要亲身经历,而不仅仅是听别人说什么。
xiǎo mǎ ɡuò hé de ɡù shi ɡào su wǒ men, wú lùn fā shēnɡ shén me shì qínɡ, wǒ men dōu xū yào qīn shēn jīnɡ lì, ér bù jín jǐn shì tīnɡ bié rén shuō shén me.

Sign up for a free trial now!

FAQ / Tips

We offer a 30-day money-back guarantee for all new students.If you are not satisfied with our services within the first month, you may cancel your lessons and receive a refund for any unused lessons.We will only charge you for the first month of lessons, and refund the remaining balance to you promptly.Our goal is to ensure your satisfaction with our services, and we strive to provide the highest quality of instruction and support to all of our students.
We offer secure and convenient payment options, including PayPal. PayPal is a widely recognized and trusted online payment platform that provides a secure way to make transactions. We also follow industry-standard security protocols to ensure the safety of your personal and financial information.
We provide a wealth of Chinese teaching materials and learning resources, including but not limited to textbooks, workbooks, listening materials, reading materials, video courses, and online courses.Our teaching materials and resources are carefully selected and designed to meet the learning needs and goals of different learners. At the same time, our teachers will provide personalized teaching and guidance based on the learning characteristics and needs of students to ensure that students can learn and master Chinese language efficiently.
Our Chinese learning method is focused on personalized and interactive one-on-one lessons with a professional teacher. The lessons are conducted live through our online teaching platform, which allows you to see and talk to the teacher. You can schedule the lessons at a time that suits you, and the teacher will tailor the lesson content to your specific needs and goals. During the lesson, you can ask questions and receive feedback from the teacher to ensure you understand and master the knowledge and skills being taught. We also have a student service team and academic coordinator team to assist you with your learning and provide any additional support you may need.Overall, our method is designed to be flexible, personalized, and interactive to help you achieve your language learning goals.
Thank you for choosing Chinese Learning for your language learning needs.If you need to cancel or reschedule a lesson, please do so at least 4 hours ahead of time. To request a cancellation, please send an email to ivy.wang @chineselearning.com or service @chineselearning.com.We appreciate your cooperation and understanding, and we look forward to providing you with the best learning experience possible."
Yes, our website offers courses in both traditional and simplified Chinese characters. You can choose the character set that you want to learn based on your personal preference or learning goals.Our courses are designed to accommodate learners of all levels and backgrounds, so whether you are a beginner or an advanced learner, we have resources that can help you improve your Chinese language skills.